Sunday, January 8, 2012

Meeting my Marine

The day had finally come, and I found myself sitting on an airplane on the way to California. I had my big meltdown of nervousness the night before, so all that was left was pure excitement. I remember my heart jumping whenever the captain said that we were flying over sunny San Diego. I smooshed my face up against the window and thought to myself, "he's down there somewhere." After landing, I got my luggage and waited patiently for His parents to pick me up. They had driven all the way there, and agreed to meet me at the airport. I didn't think I would ever get to sleep that night, but I fell into a nice slumber pretty quickly. The next morning, I tried my absolute best to contain all the energy and excitement I had running through me. But as soon as His stepfather and mom left, I jumped from one bed to the other and into the bathroom saying, "Yaaaaaaaay!" It wasn't long before His mom and stepdad poked their heads into the room to figure out what all the sudden racket was about. The whole morning was absolute agony. We got on base by about 9 am, and I didn't get my arms around him until about 3. That moment was indescribable. I patiently waited for his sisters, brother, and mom to hug him before I took my turn. I wrapped my arms around him and took in everything. He smelled different. Not bad at all, but it wasn't the smell I remembered. He was skinnier, and his arms were bigger. The sun had kissed his freckled face, which was incredibly smooth from an intense shaving lesson he must've gotten. He greeted me with a, "Hey baby. I missed you." Tears immediately greeted my eyes, and all the time we had been seperated was lost.  I had him here, in my arms, and that was all that mattered. For the rest of the day my new Marine strutted around, proudly giving us the tour of where he had been stuck the past three months. I couldn't stop looking at him. I was in awe of everything. I just couldn't believe we had made it this far. The one thing that really sucked however, was that we were not allowed to kiss nor hold hands. This would probably be easy for most people, but not me or him. While giving us the tour of a museum, he yanked me around a corner and kissed me real quick. It was then that I knew that nothing had changed. All my worries about him being different were washed away at that moment. He was definitely the boy I knew and loved, the only difference was that my boy was now a Marine. And I couldn't wait to get him back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment