Monday, January 23, 2012

Aloha Kansas.

So basically, we had the wedding of the century. Everything was beautiful, and things worked out very well. Sure, our minister made random "Wonder Twins" references, but it was all good. I know the groom was nervous, because he was acting super sarcastic and silly the whole time, which sort of got to me, because it made me feel stupid. But I knew he didn't mean anything by it. Finally we were pronounced husband and wife at 3:38 p.m. and we faced our family and friends to walk back up the aisle. It wasn't until then that my mom saw my beautiful, hand bedazzled bright blue converse shoes. I didn't see it, but from what I hear, her face was priceless. I mean, did she expect any different from me? Besides, if all excuses failed, they were my "something blue." My brother drove us away in his Ford Fusion, and took us to Sonic for about fifteen minutes to let the church clear out for pictures. We're a classy bunch, huh? =) After pictures and such we went to the reception and danced the night away with our partially inebriated relatives. We took turns sneaking away to the gift table and unwrapping corners of presents to see what the were. After the fun and laughs, my new Mr. and I headed to the hotel in town for a quiet evening alone. My mom booked us a suite complete with a hot tub in the corner of the bedroom. We sat in the hot tub for at least an hour, talking about what had happened today, and how excited we were to start our lives together. I remember we fell asleep with all the lights on, watching South Park, for God only knows what reason. We took turns trying to wake each other up to pack for our actual honeymoon, but it wasn't until 9:30ish that our feet actually hit the ground. We ate breakfast together and headed back up to pack, but my new husband slinked back into bed for a nap, so I found myself packing alone. I didn't mind it except that everytime I walked by his uniform all hung up, it scared the piss out of me because it looked like someone standing there around the corner. Eventually all was packed, and we were on our way to Oklahoma for our real getaway that he had planned all by himself. He was pretty proud, and I must say, I was too when we pulled up to a quaint little cabin complete with a wrap around porch that was all ours for the weekend. We snacked on chips and dip, and took a hike through Mount Scott. We snuggled all night, and stayed in bed as long as we wanted. All together, life was good. I still had the ticking of the clock bothering me however; I knew he had to leave in a matter of days. And unlike all the times before, we didn't know when we would get to see each other again. But he had to go back eventually, and I had to let him, this time making no promises about containing my heartache, and I cried. An elderly lady in a wheelchair even gave me some tissues. I couldn't see the light at this tunnel until about three weeks later he called and told me that he had received his orders, and we knew where we were to be stationed....A little placed called Hawaii.

No comments:

Post a Comment