Tuesday, October 25, 2011

2160 hours to go. Now what?

Now, I'm not going to sit here and lie to you. Tears instantly greeted my eyes, the minute he turned away from me. But that's okay. I promised to not cry in front of him, not to refrain from crying at all. It was one of those really super annoying cries where your brain isn't telling you cry, and neither are your eyes, so why is it happening?! I was literally leaking. Everytime I blinked seawater splashed down on to my cheeks. As I reached my car, I saw his shuttle pulling away, taking the man I love far far away from me. I watched until it was nothing but a speck in the distance. Starting then, I had approximately 2,160 hours until I would see those green eyes again. "So what now?", you may ask. What do you do for the following three months? The best advice I can give to a girl with a military man is to keep yourself busy.  That can be pretty easy if you are seperated during the school year, but remember, my man left late June and was expected to graduate late September. I still had a whole month of summer, and almost all of August before my college courses began. So what did I do? I joined a support group online. I went to work everyday and put all my earnings into our savings account. I visited my sister in Boston. I got my wisdom teeth out. But the best recommendation I can give, is to write. I kept a journal and wrote what I did everyday and how I was feeling. Not only was it a great way to express myself, but a great way to just dump everything that you are feeling. And! As an added bonus, I planned on giving the journal to my new Marine after basic. It was a cool way for him to know how I was really doing during his absence. Man, that journal was my absolute best friend. I wrote about everything. It wasn't until September that I began to fall behind, but that is only because classes were in full swing. Things were fantastic...until the moon took her spot in the sky. Night time...was horrible. I wasn't used to falling asleep alone, falling asleep without a long conversation, falling asleep without tickle torture, or falling asleep without watching the Lion King with Him. (Don't hate. We love that movie.) That was definitely the hardest adjustment. But like most tough things in life, it gets better. Letters were sent back and forth between us, and that is really something special. Text messages and phone calls are cool, but there is really something precious about a handwritten letter with your name on it. That's something to treasure forever. By August, I would say I was pretty well adjusted go to work, go to class, do homework, write Him a letter, maybe sleep...but there was always that constant nagging voice in my head asking, "Is it September yet?"

No comments:

Post a Comment