Friday, August 30, 2013

The Wait is Over

Hello readers!
     Whew, what a whirlwind. My Marine is finally home! (Has been for a little over two months now, but I am terrible at being up to date!) That day was so very stressful for the both of us.  There was some confusion on what flight he was on and when I needed to be at the meeting area, which made us both incredibly frustrated the night before he left. The morning of homecoming felt like any other day. I mean, I got dressed up of course, woke up extra early to curl my hair and put on a dress I had bought myself just for the occasion, but it felt normal. I ate a light breakfast, and hung up the welcome home sign in front of our house. All in all, I was incredibly calm and it really made me nervous. I expected it to be so much more frenzied. When it was time to leave the house, I did a quick walkthrough to make sure the house looked awesome. After all, he hasn't seen it in 6+ months! I told the cats (I have two, and I am a self proclaimed cat woman) that daddy was coming home, and headed to the car.
     On the drive to the battalion building, I was still really calm. This was infuriating me. Today is freaking special, Emma! Be excited! I kept telling myself. But the butterflies didn't come. I didn't feel like I was going to pee my pants (dress, actually) or puke like all the other wives were saying. What is wrong with me?! I sat there so calmly, waiting for word that they were close to base and we could all go to the parking lot to meet the buses carrying our loved ones. Finally the time came, and I walked to the lot, alone and numb to all feelings. It was a good 20 minutes before I heard the first wife screaming, "OHMYGAWDTHERETHEYARE!" I turned around and sure enough, five white school buses were headed our way, pulling into the parking lot.
Then it happened.
My stomach fell.
My knees shook.
My eyes watered.
I had to pee.
My heart was smacking my chest so hard I was sure everyone could see it.

All the emotion hit me so hard, the buses and people looked like a blur. My brain went haywire, asking crazy questions. "Will I recognize him? Will he recognize me? What underwear am I wearing? Will he kiss me? Is it too late to ask someone to check my hair?"
Tears filled my eyes, and I'm sure I looked like I could vomit at any moment, but the crowd around me shifted and I snapped back to reality. Everyone was rushing toward the buses where clouds of desert camouflage expelled. The Marines were getting off the bus! I couldn't even move. I was frozen with anticipation and nervousness. Suddenly I heard a familiar voice, and a hand on my shoulder. It was him, and the minute I looked into those green eyes, every horrible feeling, sleepless night, and lonely dinner for the past 175 days was worth it for that single moment. I just grabbed him and didn't realize how hard I must've been squeezing until he said in a muffled voice, "can I put my bag down?" I said no, and held him tighter.

Please enjoy some of the pictures from our big day!

Cara! This was also her first deployment. She is a rock!


This was around the time he asked if I would let him put his bag down. ;)


We did it! Survived our first deployment! 

No comments:

Post a Comment